[OSM-talk] Will Google ever use OSM data?

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 00:42:28 GMT 2009

Sam Vekemans wrote:
> Once the Open Database Licence is sorted out at our end.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License
>
> I think that they will :)

Unfortunately I am not so sure and I would interpret Googles recent
activity as making it less likely for them to use OSM anytime soon. With
the move to drop TeleAtlas as map provider in the US and switch to use
their own map data including a "report a problem" feature, as well as
their increased activity with Google Mapmaker in many other countries it
seems Google is trying to enter the map data owner business with all
their might. Google has thus turned in my opinion from a potential
future user of OSM data into a major competitor. Google might even turn
into a tougher competitor for OSM than Navteq or TeleAtlas, as they are
using some of the same advantages as OSM, crowd sourcing and providing
mapping data for free, plus the added advantage of nearly limitless
marketing power and resources. I obviously still think that OSM is going
to succeed in becoming the most complete map data and has major
advantages over google's data which is the free as in freedom aspect of
the maps which google doesn't seem to have any intention in following
looking at the rather reluctant opening of the mapmaker data. However it
will make OSMs life more interesting having to focus even more on the
free as in freedom rather than free as in beer aspects to highlight the
benefits of OSM over Google to new contributors. So my guess would be
that OSM is not going to get much help from Google until it is
inevitable that OSM is unstoppable. I think it is much more likely that
one of the other mayor players like Yahoo, Microsoft or perhaps even
Garmin or Navigon embrace OSM, to fend of Google. So Google's move could
even turn out to be an advantage to OSM.

On the other hand, google has given a significant contribution towards
the new server fund back in April, sponsored SoTM in the past and
sponsored OSM projects through GSoC. So who knows what Google is
planning. I for sure don't have a clue and just thought I'd share by
uninformed 0.02$ ;-)

Kai