[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Karlruhe Scheme addressing ways from 2009 TIGER data

Dan Homerick danhomerick at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 03:59:25 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:

> Anthony writes:
>  > For examples of how bad TIGER data is, see
>  > http://maps.huge.info/geocoder/ and
>
> That URL doesn't work ... as an example of bad TIGER data.  I checked
> four addresses, and every one of them was correct within about 30 feet.
> Presumably your experience is different.  What addresses did you try?

I tried three locations, all in California (in Scotts Valley, and in
Sacramento). All were at least 200 meters off. One of the cases was a fairly
short street, and the TIGER data put the address at nearly the wrong end
entirely.

I'm highly in favor of doing the import, regardless. I think the
inaccuracies will be far easier to fix than to put the addressing in from
scratch. I've done a lot of mapping in my area, but haven't been willing to
start doing addresses, even before I knew that the TIGER import was coming
down the line. I would be willing to search out and fix errors though, since
all it will take is changing a few nodes.

- Dan