[OSM-talk] positioning of barrier = stile

Richard Bullock rb357 at cantab.net
Sun Nov 15 17:30:34 GMT 2009

> My query relates to where a footway joins a road and there is a stile.
>
> say a- b is footway , and c - d is road
>
> Should the stile be placed at "b"
> a------b
>
> or should I  put in a node "e" and tag that with barrier = stile:

> a---e-b
>
> I have been doing the former, but it appears this might stop routing
> applications allowing a car to travel from c - d as the barrier = stile
> "blocks" the road to vehicle transport, and so the second tagging option
> might be better.

I've always tagged the stile where it actually is (via geo-tagged photo). I
would therefore use the 2nd option, but my positioning of node 'e' will
depend on where my photo says it is.

Regardless of routing applications; the best option here is to ask yourself
how many stiles are there on the road between c to d. If the answer is none,
then the way c-d should not have any node tagged as a stile.