[OSM-talk] positioning of barrier = stile

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Nov 16 14:25:34 GMT 2009

Richard Bullock wrote:
>> My query relates to where a footway joins a road and there is a stile.
>>
>> say a- b is footway , and c - d is road
>>
>> Should the stile be placed at "b"
>> a------b
>>
>> or should I  put in a node "e" and tag that with barrier = stile:

>> a---e-b
>>
>> I have been doing the former, but it appears this might stop routing
>> applications allowing a car to travel from c - d as the barrier = stile
>> "blocks" the road to vehicle transport, and so the second tagging option
>> might be better.
>>

> I've always tagged the stile where it actually is (via geo-tagged photo). I
> would therefore use the 2nd option, but my positioning of node 'e' will
> depend on where my photo says it is.
>
> Regardless of routing applications; the best option here is to ask yourself
> how many stiles are there on the road between c to d. If the answer is none,
> then the way c-d should not have any node tagged as a stile.

Not sure if you actually keep the path separate but I'd show it like
this where the path is joined to the road with the stile set back
Remember the ways are representing the centrelines of the route so a
stile is always set back a bit by half the width of the road plus any
verges, paths etc.

Dave F.