[OSM-talk] why does mapnik not display my circles?

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Mon Nov 16 00:43:49 GMT 2009

hi,

I am building a map using mapnik with India specific features. The idea is that
the data will be in the osm database, but India specific features will only
show on my server. One important thing here is that food is strictly divided
into vegetarian and non-vegetarian. The law mandates that all food items
should have either a green circle or a red one to show food type. There are
areas in the country where it is very difficult to find a non-veg restaurant (and
often considered impolite to enquire where one is). Since this is not specific
to restaurants - it covers all shops that deal in food, I made a new tag
called food=veg and food=nveg with either a green or red circle. The problem
is that the data is there in the database, but it is not getting rendered. I
then noticed that mapnik does not render everything - there appears to be some
logic which prevents overwriting, so some things are rendered and others are
left out. This could be solved by having a higher zoom - or by tinkering with
the logic. I would expect a higher zoom would be the best way to go. I have
set numZoomLevels: 25, but the tool only shows the max as 18. How do I change
this? I am using openlayers with mod_tile. The map in question is here:

http://xlquest.net/?zoom=18&lat=12.94659&lon=80.13845&layers=B

opening the area in Josm shows that the food=veg and food=nveg tags are there.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves