[OSM-talk] Mobile countryside surveying tool

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 03:07:46 BST 2009

2009/10/1 Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>:
>>This sounds interesting, but could you describe a bit more what you had
>>in mind? I would particularly be interested to know how it would differ
>>to the already existing mobile tools and if it is not possible to add
>>this functionality to them, given that you can do a fair amount with
>>them already. If your ideas aren't too radically different, I might be
>>able to (help) add some of these to GpsMid.
>
> A "notes" sort of app, where you could add a geo-located note in a field
> reading "Hedge to left of path", "Hedge continues to field corner and
> meets the fence on south side of field", "Path becomes track here",
> "Another track crosses path", etc: these notes could be uploaded to a
> server (perhaps OpenStreetBugs) and then made available in JOSM, or
> Potlatch, as a separate layer.

What you are describing can be done in a number of ways, you might
want to consider only storing the OSM data locally on the device and
then later load it into JOSM, I doubt this information would be useful
to anyone other than the person creating it in the first place because
only they would know the context of it.

I guess the reason you want a J2ME app is because you have a J2ME only
phone, which phone do you have? and does it have built-in GPS or will
you need to buy a dongle if you don't have one already?