[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Oct 1 04:14:00 BST 2009

 > > > Yeah, OK Dave, we've got the message, you don't free-format tags.
 > >
 > > +1
 >
 > -1.  Don't confuse anarchy with chaos.  SteveC is our leader (and
 > should behave as such by Giving Advice), but he's only our leader so
 > far as he gives Good Advice.

I wish to be more plain.  I think that SteveC should be taking a more
active role in decisions.  He and just I had a conversation in which
he explained that he's tried doing that, and just gets flamed for
being overbearing or evil or trying to push Cloudmade's interests.

This is wrong.  There are times when any project needs leadership.
It's unreasonable for us to expect that every open source project
leader will be willing to subject himself to ad-hominem arguments.
We need to stand up for our leaders, and when they're being abused, we
need to defend them.  If we don't do that, then we'll get what we
deserve: no leadership.

I'm tired of this silly true/false 1/0 yes/no up/down left/right
in/out fore/aft port/starboard debate/debacle.  It's trivial, it's
stupid, we could just as easily toss a coin as engage in any rational
debate about how binary values should be expressed.

This is just wrong.  If SteveC says that "mountain=green" means that
first there is a mountain, and that "mountain=blue" means there is no
mountain, then damnit, we should do it that way.

Now, that implies a certain amount of trust in SteveC.  And yes, I do
trust him.  Why?  Because *I* invented OpenStreetMap first.  I
invented it, and I thought about it, and I fantasized about it, and
then I moved on to some other project I was more likely to actually
complete.  SteveC didn't.  He FAILed to FAIL.  It was the hardest
thing to do.  He ACTUALLY DID IT.  And from that act, he deserves
substantial respect and trust.

I'm not saying that we should kow-tow to him.  When he's wrong then we
should call him on it.  But NOT for LEADING.

So, Steve, would you PLEASE tell us what the canonical binary true and
false values should be?  And when you're done there, would you choose
one of the schemes for marking a highway or a bridleway with no name?

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog