[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:23:29 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> I can't understand how some of you seem to be yearning for a power
> figure that absolves you from thinking for yourselves just to make
> things simpler.

You answered your own question: that's exactly what people want - Deus
Ex Machina. That's what most people want in life - whether playing the
lottery, complaints of "why doesn't the government do X", "I'm not a
coder" and so on.

For all the people who can actually advance the solution, rather than
just discuss the problem, I think there's an obligation to both
actually get on with things, and encourage people to switch from
passive (however noisy they are at not solving anything) to active,
constructive participation. But that means only fighting battles you
can win, and I decided about 6 months ago to ignore (or at least not
rise to) the eternally pointless tagging debate.

Notice, if you will, my contributions to the wiki have skyrocketed
since I gave up debating on what to do with the wikifiddlers and just
started fixing the problem instead.

Cheers,
Andy