[OSM-talk] Flickr Now Supports OSM Tags

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 1 12:26:44 BST 2009

Hi,

Dave F. wrote:
> If the consumers had to do less work then OSM would get *more*
> consumers. Which is half the point of the exercise, isn't it?

Stop thinking in these terms, they don't work for OSM. The data OSM has
to offer has a reasonable value; depending on who the "customer" is,
using OSM data can save them tens of thousands of whatever currency unit
you like. There's a strong motivation - these users will come to OSM
even if OSM isn't presented to them on a silver platter.

On the other side we have the mappers who do not save, or earn, any
money from OSM, and the programmers and server admins and everyone who
uses their spare time to create and run OSM.

If you continue talking about OSM as a product and users as customers,
then you'll soon arrive at "the customer is always right" and we
contributors will then be mere "service providers".

But things are just the other way round in OSM. The mapper is always
right, and whether or not the user wants to use what the mapper
provides, that's his choice. The user can always go for Teleatlas
instead if he doesn't like what he sees.

Bye
Frederik