[OSM-talk] Overlay showing wikipedia links

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:34:07 BST 2009

2009/9/30 Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 1:49 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's at http://www.openstreetmap.pl/wp (see caveats below).
>
> Neat.
>
>>  * Blue dots are wikipedia links, grey dots are other External Links
>> (website= and url= tags).  The wikipedia= value syntax is
>> "<two-letter-code>:Title" or "Title" alone for English wikipedia.  It
>> doesn't matter which wikipedia language you link to, the page is
>> always displayed in your chosen language, if available.
>
> We have a lot of wikipedia:<code>=<title> form in our database. That
> seems to be the recommended practice so perhaps you should support
> that too:

Good idea, I added the support now.  Also added better support for
wikipedia=<full-URL>.  If there are other tags that people use for
external links, let me know.

On one hand, there was a discussion here on the list and on irc at one
point about this form of tagging and it was argued that
wikipedia:<code>=<Title> was good for when you want to have the given
language use a different wikipedia page, in addition to a generic link
in wikipedia=.  Or that it's easier to support technically.  I never
understood these arguments and want to encourage using a single
wikipedia= tag.

For the record here are the statistics of the current tag usage in the
tiles (IOW no US):

121098 wikipedia= tags
43429 of the above link to non-English wikipedias (i.e.
wikipedia=<code>:<Title>)
35996 wikipedia:<code>= tags
28184 url= tags

Cheers