[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Oct 1 14:16:00 BST 2009

On 01/10/2009 13:51, Russ Nelson wrote:
> Frederik Ramm writes:
>  > Not at all. Russ has called for dictatorial leadership which the project
>  > should follow even if there were absolutely nonsensical decisions.
>
> WHOA!!  I never said that.  What I said was that if we can't choose,
> as a community, between yes/no, true/false, and 1/0, then SteveC
> should choose one of them, arbitrarily, because it matters more that
> we tag consistently than that everyone tag randomly.

Irrespective of how decision making happens, it hardly matters if there
is no real way to control the outcome. Yes, we can have edit wars with
the perverse ones who insist their way is better than the
concensus/autocracy/democracy, but that's not a terribly productive way
of working. Wasn't there a case where we had one bot going round
changing true/false to yes/no and another doing exactly the opposite at
the same time?

Which kind of leads into the discussion that's happening on the dev list
this morning...

David