[OSM-talk] Mobile countryside surveying tool

Someoneelse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Fri Oct 2 02:09:35 BST 2009

The downside of J2ME (at least in the UK, where it rains a lot) is that
the phones that it runs on tend not to be waterproof.  There are various
cases available, but they're not cheap.  Maybe a complementary approach
would be to have something that could work with GPX file from a handheld
GPS (that doesn't mind getting wet or dropped) and add in notes later to
the GPX XML based on waypoint number?

The tricky bit would be to work out a way of getting information such as
"there's a path north of here but no-one's mapped it yet" stored
somewhere centrally (such as one of the Openstreetbugs-a-likes) and then
allowing other people to retrieve it.  Currently I update a large GPX
with where I've been and where I haven't locally (and I'm sure many
people do something similar), but there's no translation between "what
the GPS stores" and "what it means".