[OSM-talk] Mobile countryside surveying tool

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 10:18:50 BST 2009

>The downside of J2ME (at least in the UK, where it rains a lot) is that
>the phones that it runs on tend not to be waterproof.  There are various
>cases available, but they're not cheap.  Maybe a complementary approach
>would be to have something that could work with GPX file from a handheld
>GPS (that doesn't mind getting wet or dropped) and add in notes later to
>the GPX XML based on waypoint number?

In this case though you'd have to use hand written notes, or memory,
anyway, which removes the need for the application really.

It doesn't rain that often anyhow, not in my part of the UK anyway: at a
guess, two thirds of all Saturdays and Sundays are dry, giving lots of
viable surveying days :-)

Nick