[OSM-talk] Overlay showing wikipedia links

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Fri Oct 2 14:58:06 BST 2009

2009/10/2 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:40 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> and you can have very big features (e.g. an extreme: atlantic ocean),
>> or strangely shaped ones, where coordinates won't do the job (unless
>> you give much more than just 1 pair), because the "center" would be
>> off the object.
>
> There is something called "bounding box" where we use a pair of
> coordinates for such things. This is not a good argument to put url's
> in osm. And if you put an url on - let say - the relation representing
> the highway 66 in US, you will have any way to do some preprocessing
> to calculate the bounding box of this collection of ways.

Yes, but that still doesn't link to specific entities, which is why
it's useful to include URLs. See the description of Linked Data
someone posted earlier in the thread.

> Again, all what is said about special
> rendering/highlighting/pointing/etc of objects with an url is valid
> for all web sites and not only wikipedia. I just want to say that if
> we accept that for wikipedia, we cannot refuse it for other web
> applications and this is opening the door to a bad practice.

I don't really see why there's anything wrong with providing links to
other site as well as wikipedia, as long as they are a useful
reference point. For example, any POIs that I add that have a website,
I'll link to that (it's also a good source to get their address and
other useful information from, so it's good to list that as a source),
or if there is another information site that has information about
that thing where wikipedia doesn't (often due to the 'notability'
restrictions), then I'll link to that instead. It all makes the
dataset richer, and links the users of the data up with further
information about that object.

Cheers,
Dan

--