[OSM-talk] Overlay showing wikipedia links

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 09:23:30 BST 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:40 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> and you can have very big features (e.g. an extreme: atlantic ocean),
> or strangely shaped ones, where coordinates won't do the job (unless
> you give much more than just 1 pair), because the "center" would be
> off the object.

There is something called "bounding box" where we use a pair of
coordinates for such things. This is not a good argument to put url's
in osm. And if you put an url on - let say - the relation representing
the highway 66 in US, you will have any way to do some preprocessing
to calculate the bounding box of this collection of ways.
Again, all what is said about special
rendering/highlighting/pointing/etc of objects with an url is valid
for all web sites and not only wikipedia. I just want to say that if
we accept that for wikipedia, we cannot refuse it for other web
applications and this is opening the door to a bad practice.

Pieren