[OSM-talk] Please

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Fri Oct 2 19:41:39 BST 2009

Andy Allan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is one small problem with this suggestion, if most new users are
>> invited to join this and other lists and the number of users are
>> increasing at an exponential rate the number of messages will go up at
>> an equal or greater rate, then what?
>>

> Then the people who are mailing more than their fair share of posts
> will be asked to post less often. Hopefully they will realise that
> every time they post to the list it's delivered to 1,000s of others

I'm fully aware of the consequences of my actions Alan, however, It
leads me to ask: Only Thousands? Why so few?

There are many other forums (Microsoft's on Usenet for example) where
there can be hundreds (thousands?) of posts per day.
I don't see anyone there whinging (yes, whinging)  about the
throughput.  They get used to it.

> and they should keep their contributions under control.

I'm not going to be criticised for partaking in a forum that I can
either learn from, or give advice in.

I'm at a loss to understand why, in a forum titled Talk, there are some
who criticise others for, er... talking.
There is a /clue /in the title!

If you want to reduce the traffic to just /your /inbox do so by setting
your email client up to ignore/block/mute/filter etc.
It's what those filters are there for. The programmers spent a lot of
energy creating them for people like you. Please learn to use them

No one is forced to read or reply to the messages.
If there was no desire to reply to the thread(s), they would have ground
to halt.