[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

DavidD thewinch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 23:49:00 BST 2009

2009/10/2 Gervase Markham <gerv-gmane at gerv.net>:

> If I were considering using OSM data in my business, I would consider it
> laughable that after 5 years there had not yet been a decision on what
> value or small set of values I needed to look for on boolean attributes
> to see whether they were true or false. Laughable.

If it is so bad why is there a complete refusal to actually do
anything other than write emails to the list?

Just start making the decisions and build the thing on top of OSM. It
wouldn't even be that difficult to start off. Just take planet.osm and
strip "unapproved" tags and build up from there. Who knows, you might
even be able to get an account on the dev server to do it on.

If it is a genuine improvement for people using the data it should not
be that hard to get people involved and using it.

It's obvious now that this isn't going to just appear within OSM one
day. It will have to be built up along side at least until it is shown
to be an improvement. That's if it even needs to be part of OSM at
all. If mapnic can run off the planet and diffs why couldn't this?

--
DavidD