[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sat Oct 3 07:32:40 BST 2009

On 03/10/09 00:49, DavidD wrote:
> Just start making the decisions and build the thing on top of OSM. It
> wouldn't even be that difficult to start off. Just take planet.osm and
> strip "unapproved" tags and build up from there.

So OSM is in a state where it only becomes usefully consistent if you
throw away a lot of the information? That doesn't sound like the best
use of the time of the mappers who put it there.

Lack of guidance, which is what we have now, is a disincentive to new
mappers, and a disappointment to existing ones. If I pick way #5 of the
nine different ways to tag a road with no name, come back a week later
and find that I spent two hours tagging but it's not rendered because
Mapnik only supports ways #3, #6 and #7, then I'm going to be disappointed.

Gerv