[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Oct 3 04:24:55 BST 2009

Matt Amos writes:
 > forcing all mappers, editors and renderers to support it?

Why do people keep saying that I want to use force?  From where do
they get this idea?  Have I ever suggested the use of force?  Gun,
knife, sword, empty hand?  Rejection of ill-formed tags at the API?
Please, quote me on it if you think I have.

 > if mappers tag the way they feel is best and the tool authors (i.e:
 > nonames layer) consume the tags in the way they feel is best then the
 > two will converge,

Let me propose an alternative course of events which is less
desirable:

Anyone who asks how to mark a road as having no name is told that
there is no consensus.  They might get sent to the Wiki page on it.
That page gives no advice or too much advice.  The mapper takes no
action.  The database has no tags, the tool authors don't implement
any of them because the data isn't there, and the issue doesn't
converge.

I point to the +1 year age of the Noname proposal and recent
inactivity and suggest that convergance isn't happening.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Noname

I suggest instead that in cases such as these, SteveC should bless one
of them with his Holy Water of Antioch (and the number of the tags
shall be 3, no more and no less).  His blessing will tip the stable
disconvergance in one direction.

But for him to be able to do that, we need to not be throwing the
"sheep" or "Furher" word around just because some people are trying to
lead and others are trying to follow.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog