[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 07:42:13 BST 2009

2009/10/3 Gervase Markham <gerv-gmane at gerv.net>:
> My view is not that we should have one committee, but that groups of
> people with particular expertise should come together to develop the tag
> sets for particular areas (e.g. canals, mountain biking), those should

I was starting small, I thought if we could at least get a core set
that would a) stop the constant pointless/endless debates over the
same thing all the time, b) give people a known good footing on where
to start, c) have consistency for the entire database so that if
people edit things in one region (regardless if it's a county,
state/province/territory/whatever, county/local government area) it
won't matter because everyone should be doing something very similar
if not the same.

If there is a need for more granular committees then so be it, but
there is some fairly fundamental things that need to be addressed,
like street numbering, like foot paths/cycle ways.

> Wikipedia has much less need for consistency than we do (e.g. it doesn't
> matter if one article is in American English and another in Australian
> English; articles are not machine-parsed) and yet they have all sorts of
> mechanisms for ensuring it.

Exactly, what we're dealing with is the equivolent if all the
wikipedia information was in a single article and that article has to
be readable and not disjointed.

> As Russ says, freeform tagging != anarchy.

Some freeform tagging != anarchy, but completely freeform tagging
would be chaos...