[OSM-talk] SteveC should decide

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sat Oct 3 07:25:31 BST 2009

On 03/10/09 06:00, John Smith wrote:
> No we need a committee to decide upon a core set of values that people
> should use where possible instead of naming the same "thing" 10
> different ways, the argument over boolean values just highlights the
> point.

OK, sorry, I thought that someone was suggesting setting up a committee
just for this. :-)

My view is not that we should have one committee, but that groups of
people with particular expertise should come together to develop the tag
sets for particular areas (e.g. canals, mountain biking), those should
be what's published on the wiki, and it should be an OSM community norm
to tag in accordance with what's on the wiki even if you feel that it
doesn't capture all the information, and you have to add
MyName:extratag=value tags to make it absolutely clear what you mean.

Wikipedia has much less need for consistency than we do (e.g. it doesn't
matter if one article is in American English and another in Australian
English; articles are not machine-parsed) and yet they have all sorts of
mechanisms for ensuring it.

As Russ says, freeform tagging != anarchy.

Gerv