[OSM-talk] Tagging schema

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Oct 5 11:29:02 BST 2009

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> there is IMHO no boolean values in OSM. Feel free to give counter
> examples.

The arguments for how to tag a footway and a cycleway contain a number of
boolean examples.
Either you are permitted to drive a car down the footway, or you are not.
You are permitted to cycle on the footway, or you are not.

The trinary response from my culture would be "it's only a problem if you are
caught".

no_exit is boolean until we consider flying as a possibility

and the tags needed for certain Australian road conditions
dry_weather_only and 4wd_only are certainly boolean.

so having dealt with boolean, and discussed enumeration (house numbers)
do you have any further suggestions after numeric, string and free text?