[OSM-talk] Tagging schema

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:40:55 BST 2009

2009/10/5 Liz <edodd at billiau.net>:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>> there is IMHO no boolean values in OSM. Feel free to give counter
>> examples.
>
> The arguments for how to tag a footway and a cycleway contain a number of
> boolean examples.
> Either you are permitted to drive a car down the footway, or you are not.
> You are permitted to cycle on the footway, or you are not.
>
> The trinary response from my culture would be "it's only a problem if you are
> caught".
>
> no_exit is boolean until we consider flying as a possibility

still there are other values like "unknown" and "motor_vehicle" which
seem to make sense to me (I didn't add them myself, as I consider
noexit (no_exit is used just 5 times, so I guess we're talking about
noexit) pointless: that's what a map is for, a router won't need this
tag, and in the end the whole earth is noexit, until we consider
rockets or other spacecraft a possibility)

> so having dealt with boolean, and discussed enumeration (house numbers)
> do you have any further suggestions after numeric, string and free text?

even housenumbers can be all kind of weird numbers, so limiting the
possibilities doesn't really meet the needs.

cheers,
Martin