[OSM-talk] EGNOS

Aun Yngve Johnsen lists at gimnechiske.org
Mon Oct 5 15:32:08 BST 2009

EGNOS is just another SBAS (Satellite Based Augmentation System), and
with EGNOS 100% active we now have tree such systems, including the
wider known north american WAAS. I hope more such systems can be
available soon, knowing that India and China also are developing
similar systems, and there is one active over Japan, which also are
developing a different system. Such system is very needed in the
equatorial regions where atmospheric disturbance such as scintillation
and plasma-bubble effects are more active and can render a handheld
GPS completely useless at times, but unfortunately most countries
suffering from these effects don't have the funds for such a project.
Next milestone in GPS (or I should say GNSS) accuracy will be the
activation of Galileo, the European equivalent to GPS. A handheld dual
GPS/Galileo receiver with active SBAS will give you an accuracy you
never have seen in a small unit, you can almost compete with
professional units such as those used in land survey and in the oil
industry.

BTW: GLONASS is also getting more satellites activated, so that is
almost a reliable alternative to GPS while we wait for Galileo, and
the chinese plan to activate their COMPASS about same time as Galileo.

brgds
Aun Johnsen