[OSM-talk] Tagging schema

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Mon Oct 5 21:36:57 BST 2009

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Mike N. wrote:
>   I recently set out to do an all-inclusive map of a section of town.
> Perhaps I'm unfortunate enough to live in a city of lawyers, but it seems
> that a large entire section of town consists of law offices.    I can't
> believe I'm not the first person to want to tag a law office as a shop
> category (I may have completely missed an existing tag).   The process of
> creating a new tag is laborious:
>     Search the wiki for approved tags that don't appear in presets
>     Search the wiki for a  proposed tag to be able to at least choose a
> more common tag
>     Search TagWatch - I didn't play with this for long, but the links from
> the wiki to TagWatch don't make it easy to query a list of tags in use for
> key shop for example.

I used shop=solicitor because I had heaps of stuff to put on the map and no
time to do any exhaustive search. Any tag I found on the wiki later I adjusted
to a generally used one.
I'm quite happy to change my tag to shop=lawyer.

You have described an interesting example of the difficulties of wishing to be
a conformist on OSM and I have described the example of how easy it is to be
an anarchist.