[OSM-talk] England, Wales, Scotland borders

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Wed Oct 7 17:12:15 BST 2009

Peter Childs <pchilds <at> bcs.org> writes:

>><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_England>

>>So, although for most government purposes there is no layer in between
>>English counties (outside London) and Westminster, the regions do just about
>>exist for various obscure purposes, so I'd grudgingly accept they should be
>>accorded an admin_level.

>Hmm In that case should they not have the same Admin Level through out
>Europe, so a Electoral Area for an MEP is the same Admin level
>throughout Europe...

No, because a constituency boundary or voting district is not itself an
administrative unit.  It may be, but need not be.

Constituencies for elections (from European Parliament region-blocks down
to the level of wards for local councillors) are sometimes useful information,
but they need their own tag, not admin_level.

Hmm, I may have just contradicted what I said earlier... there are still
little things like 'planned fire brigade co-ordination' which might justify
English regions being treated as an administrative or political entity.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>