[OSM-talk] Instead of voting

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Sat Oct 10 22:10:58 BST 2009

Generally, I like your idea - it's important that there is only one
meaning per tag (that's why they should be documented), whereas
synonymous tags are not a serious problem, so there is no reason to
restrict mappers ability to use and define new tags. I therefore think
it should be considered a valid way of establishing tags.

Russ Nelson:
> "As an alternative to voting, consider doing this instead."

It should be clear that it's only an alternative to voting when
introducing new tags. It doesn't offer a solution if there already are
different ideas about what a certain tag means - we'd still need a way
to handle those situations: voting, councils, dictators, whatever.

> 5) If you disagree with the definition of the key or value, then
> create a new key or value with a different name,

This can potentially lead to some conflicts when the "good" names are
already taken...

Tobias Knerr