[OSM-talk] mapnik shelter rendering

Dave G 9gerkin9 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 00:00:57 BST 2009

Hi

It may be a localisation problem or semantics but it appears that
alpine hut / regular hut / shelter / etc. definitions
or perceptions vary between countryies as previously stated:

 This is my interpretation of an Alpine Hut -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_hut
"In the United Kingdom <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom> and
Ireland <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland> the tradition is of
unwardened "climbing huts" providing fairly rudimentary accommodation"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bothy

The problem with the is that these definition doesn't fit my situation
in New Zealand and
we have a network of over 900 back country huts

An alpine hut in NZ might look more like this:
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-stay/backcountry-huts-by-region/west-coast/franz-josef-area/centennial-hut/
or
http://alpineguides.co.nz/info/huts/tasman_saddle.htm .... but sorry
not restaurants!!

My intention with my proposal:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/wilderness_mountain_buildings
was to create a generic tagging system for buildings, where features
are tagged/listed, hopefully to avoid the
localisation problems ie. the "you say potato, I say potaaato" problem ?

cheers.......gerkin