[OSM-talk] mapnik shelter rendering

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Oct 13 13:58:43 BST 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> True. In german we say "Schutzhütte" (losely translates as "protection
>> hut") and the german wikipedia article shows good examples in pictures:
>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzhütte (ignore the one in the lower
>> right corner). These "shelters" are only used as a protection from bad
>> weather. You won't voluntarily spend a night there and they won't have
>> any facilities or even power supply.
>>
>> Don't you call these "shelter" in English?
>>

> Don't know about English but as always the US version is larger:
>
> http://www.ohiocaverns.com/shelter.htm

That first one looks more like a rockery to me. :-)

I think that shelter should be used for bus/park etc.

The life & death seriousness of the high altitude shelters should be
noted - something like survival_shelter?

The building described with restaurants & bedrooms are *not* shelters
but hotels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MOko_schronisko.JPG