[OSM-talk] mapnik shelter rendering

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Oct 13 16:37:40 BST 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 7:04 AM, Claudius <claudius.h at gmx.de> wrote:
> True. In german we say "Schutzhütte" (losely translates as "protection
> hut") and the german wikipedia article shows good examples in pictures:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzhütte (ignore the one in the lower
> right corner). These "shelters" are only used as a protection from bad
> weather. You won't voluntarily spend a night there and they won't have
> any facilities or even power supply.
>
> Don't you call these "shelter" in English?

I'd call it a "hut".  I suppose it's technically a "shelter", but from
the description you gave, before I clicked on the link, I wasn't
expecting something with four walls.  A "shelter" is anything with a
roof.  It might have 0 walls, or it might have more walls, but if it
has four walls I'd generally use a more descriptive name for it.

I'm williing to go with the majority though.  Right now, I'm tagging
picnic-type shelters (see
http://www.ci.burlington.wa.us/imageuploads/Media-322.jpg) as
"amenity=shelter".  This looks dumb when zooming in on the map, but I
don't tag for the renderers :).