[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (boundary=military)

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 01:36:46 BST 2009

2009/10/14 Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com>:
> Pieren wrote:
>> 2009/10/13 Gilles Corlobé <gilles at corlobe.tk>:
>>
>>> I didn't know I didn't have to wait the approval.
>>> It's now done : http://osm.org/go/xXEahwWz--
>>>

>> Gilles, your approach was the correct one. Don't follow those stupid
>> advices from guys how want the chaos in OSM. Making proposals and
>> having discussions will show you if you are in the good way or not.
>> And if your first idea was wrong, you don't have to revert your edits.
>>

> +1
>
> Always ask for advice & opinion if you're unsure of your suggestions.
>
> The "just go ahead & do it" philosophy that some advocate just puts
> errors into OSM that may not get fully removed, especially if they've
> been around for a while & have been copied by others.

Technically they aren't errors, just inconsistent data that isn't
useful for anything unless someone cleans it up first, which takes a
lot more effort that could have been avoided in the first place with a
little planning. That's assuming you don't get people using the
same/similar tags to mean different things of course, in which case
you would have to manually clean up the data since a computer most
likely wouldn't understand the context nor how to express it to a
human.