[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC -(man_made=mineshaft)

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Tue Oct 20 15:00:51 BST 2009

On 20 Oct 2009, at 14:44, Lesi wrote:

>>> If there is a unmined deposit, the mineshaft is not in use anymore
>>> -> disused=yes
>>>

>> Do NOT use something like disused=yes as a modifier, you instead
>> need  to add an extra level of indirection, so that you don't end
>> up having disused or closed things being confused with things that
>> are still in operation.
>>
>> Shaun
>>

> Could you explain this further, I do not understand what you mean.
> disused=yes is quite popular and used in combination with many other
> things.

I'll take an example of an amenity=cafe since it's one that I know
slightly better.

If you just add a disused=yes, pretty much nothing that works with the
OSM data will recognise that it is no longer a cafe. Instead you
should use something like old_amenity=cafe, or
amenity=closed;closed=cafe, that way there won't be any confusion.

As another example for when a road is under construction, you can use
highway=constriction;construction=primary, thus routing engines won't
route along that road. If you added a construction=yes or similar tag,
it would require so much more complex logic in the processing of the
osm data that it wouldn't be practical to do it this way.

Shaun