[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] proposal for deletion: talk-us-ga and

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 06:09:21 BST 2009

Dave Hansen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 19:40 -0400, Richard Weait wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Sarah Manley <sarah.m.manley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What is the status of the forum: http://forum.openstreetmap.org?
>>>
>>> Would building this out more maybe solve some of our problems?
>> Preference for email vs web forum varies from community to community.
>> In my limited experience, more-technical groups tend towards email but
>> there are certain to be counter-examples.  An interface that merges
>> email and web forum might be ideal.  I believe that the Linux Kernel
>> Mailing List uses such a system but I don't know what the drawbacks
>> and compromises are in that system.
>
> There are web interfaces to LKML, but they're all tacked on after the
> fact to the mailing list.  Email is still the main mechanism, although
> there are some nice web gateways, to be sure.

The ideal for everybody WOULD be a 'list' that provides both on-line and
web based interface. Before Yahoo took over egroups it provided a very
good 'either/or' solution, which has been lost a little with the forced
advertising that resulted from the 'takeover' and the other
'improvements' yahoo have made - such as adding 'html' messages!

NONE of the currently available 'forum' packages provide a decent web
interface either not bothering at all or simply providing messages that
'a new message has been posted'. Sourceforge does at least include the
message, but one still has to go back on line to post an answer - which
is most annoying when they ALSO have email lists as well. Putting all
their current effort around a single solution, rather than completely
screwing up even the forum type lists would have been a much better use
of peoples time :(

There is not currently a single solution, but I see no reason why a good
email based list can't simply add a web based interactive archive as well?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL