[OSM-talk] Roadside Distance Markers

Konrad Skeri konrad at skeri.com
Fri Oct 23 08:09:21 BST 2009

Calculating distance should be done by software by calculating and
adding length of segments (ways). No relation needed.
The signs however could be of navigational aid. E.g. "turn left into
the minor road 500 m after the sign saying 'Skara 14 km'". It could be
made to fit as an extension to the destination_sign relation [1],
although the name of the tags would be somewhat non-intuitive for this
purpose, and routing software would be saying "Continue on the road
towards XX" for each sign even though there is no intersection or
exit.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:destination_sign

regards
Konrad