[OSM-talk] differences in how OpenCycleMap renders bicycle parking

Erik Johansson emj at kth.se
Sat Oct 24 09:59:29 BST 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:18 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
> Shaun McDonald wrote:
>> Hi Edward,
>>
>> You need a capacity of at least 20 before it is shown. The reason for
>> needing a larger number of spaces before it was rendered with a big C
>> was due to places
>> like http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=18&lat=51.49685&lon=-0.12529&layers=B000
>> <http://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=18&lat=51.49685&lon=-0.12529&layers=B000>
>> where it would show lots of blue C's beside each other which wasn't
>> particularly useful when the cycle parking was mapped in detail.
> Hi Shaun
>
> Why does it need a minimum number?
>
> Could it be possible to change the render a the highest detail level or
> two, to display the C+number. In the example you give it they would
> certainly fit.

Because mapnik can't handle that in a nice fashion, maybe showing
everything at high zoom level, but even that may clutter the map
(perhaps?). What we want is for mapnik to handle different amount of
node/label density without having to resort to shutting of rendering
this or that label completely.

I have this problem for the Swedish country side. we have so much land
and so little mapped things that the UK created mapnik rules used for
Europe are no good.

Europe at zoom6
http://osm.org/go/0DxrS--

Northern Scandinavia at zoom6
http://osm.org/go/01QLb--

The same problem exists in Thailand according to user Buadhai:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Buadhai/diary/8208

--
/emj