[OSM-talk] differences in how OpenCycleMap renders bicycle parking

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Oct 27 23:15:45 GMT 2009

Hi,

Dave F. wrote:
> I was under the impression that anybody with the relevant skills would
> be able to contribute & not just "two"

Maybe we should have a second cyclemap the styles of which are not
determined by "just two" people but by a democratically elected
committee of Wikifid^H^H^H contributors! It probably wouldn't be used by
many people but at least everyone could contribute.

>> Remember that it's done by people in their spare time, using resources
>> they've begged, borrowed and stolen for themselves. If you think you
>> have a need for a similar, but different map you're free to make one.

> So we'd have a proliferation of cycle maps. That would be a waste of
> time & effort.

OpenStreetMap is, first and foremost, not a project to produce maps -
but to produce a database from which maps can be made (and in another
post you write that you're doing your fair share of collecting that data
which shows you're as much part of it as anyone else).

I think that we should encourage diversity. Let the makers of
opencyclemap.org make *their* cycle map, and let someone else steal
their ideas, avoid their mistakes, and make a better (or different)
cycle map, and so on. There's nothing like a bit of friendly competition
to get people to revisit and improve their work.

We should try to lower the entry barrier for people creating their own
maps, and of course once a map is reasonably stable it must be given
equal prominence to OpenCycleMap and all others on our web site. At the
moment there is only one cycle map but this is not the "official" cycle
map - if someone else made a different one, it would deserve the same
treatment.

Whenever I go shopping I think what a waste of time and effort it is to
have three different supermarkets close by, each of which offering me
almost everything I need. But at the end of the day I'm happy to have a
choice.

Bye
Frederik