[OSM-talk] Mountain Passes - Display Issue

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 19:46:20 GMT 2009

Shalabh schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Just to bring to the group's notice. I added a few mountain passes a
> couple of days ago along with the hiking trails and waypoints
>
> Indrahar Pass at N32 17.852 E76 22.872, elevation 4342 metres
> Jalsu Pass at N32 10.929 E76 41.018, elevation 3425 metres
> Bhubhu Pass at N31 57.557 E76 59.684, elevation 2791 metres
> Himri Pass at N32 02.299 E77 02.958, elevation 3261 metres
>
> When I now check on OSM, while the trails are there along with the
> waypoints, the passes are missing. However, when I download data from
> OSM using JOSM, I can see the passes along with the elevations.
>
> Any clue whats the reason for not displaying on the renderer?

Except for JOSM, I currently don't know any renderer that displays
mountain_pass=yes at all (if there's any, please let us know :-)

Problem here: JOSM simply displays a bridge like icon, but doesn't care
about the direction (north, south, ...).

A "correct renderer" should display a mountain pass somehow like a
bridge usually is displayed, following the direction of the way.

As the mountain_pass is tagged as a node, it's unfortunately not that
easy to get that direction, so renderers simply tend to ignore this tag
completely :-(

Regards, ULFL