[OSM-talk] importing shapefile data to OSM

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Wed Oct 28 20:38:28 GMT 2009

Ian/Serge,

Thanks for the pointers.  It didn't hit until I read the wiki pages you
referred to that editing is inherently different than importing, and
that what I am doing is really bulk importing.  And the idea is to first
convert to .osm format locally, then upload to OSM.   I'll look more
into shp2osm and shp-to-osm.

Something I'm missing, once the data is in osm format, how do I get it
into OSM?   Can I continue to edit the osm manually, such as with a
background image/WMS service?   Is this where "importing" turns into
"editing" and I should use JOSM, etc...?

Serge, I may be contacting you soon about what you're doing in DC.  We
have some other state-wide Delaware datasets we'd love to get into OSM.
  Thanks for the offer.

- John