[OSM-talk] importing shapefile data to OSM

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Oct 28 23:52:15 GMT 2009

John Callahan writes:
 > Something I'm missing, once the data is in osm format, how do I get it
 > into OSM?   Can I continue to edit the osm manually, such as with a
 > background image/WMS service?   Is this where "importing" turns into
 > "editing" and I should use JOSM, etc...?

I've had good success in loading the data into JOSM first.  That way I
can look at the data in context, to see how it will appear before
uploading.  You can either load the .osm file into JOSM and then
download from OSM into that layer, or you can download first, open the
file, and merge the layers (right-click in the layer window).

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog