[OSM-talk] Helmet cameras for mapping?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 14:43:24 BST 2010

For anyone curious, I've uploaded some sample photos from the Drift HD170.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/767553/OSM/HD1.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/767553/OSM/HD2.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/767553/OSM/HD3.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/767553/OSM/HD4.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/767553/OSM/HD5.jpg

These are single frames from the 1080p 30fps mode. Pretty impressive.
For reference, HD1 and HD4 were taken in motion, the others were
roughly stationary. You can just make out the name of the street
across the road in HD5.

I haven't tried the timelapse mode in motion yet, but I'm skeptical
based on its performance indoors.

I guess the next thing to work out is how to marry about video with
the GPS trace. Any ideas? Some possible directions:
 - find some software that allows you to navigate a GPS trace by
relative time, so I can see where on the map "15:63" is.
- find some software that can navigate a (HD) video by location, so I
can point at a physical location and see the corresponding video
frames
- superimpose the trace on every frame of the video (I want to find a
way to do this anyway, because it would be cool)
- superimpose the trace and a fragment of Mapnik on every frame (ditto...)

Steve