[OSM-talk] Contributor Terms

Pierre-Alain Dorange pdorange at mac.com
Fri Aug 13 13:39:06 BST 2010

80n <80n80n at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > [...]
> > > That said, the strategy adopted by OSFM is one that is calculated to load
> > > the bases in favour of enabling them to switch to ODbL eventually.
> >

> I helped design the strategy.  The problem statement was "how are we going
> to change the license when half the contributors won't respond, some will
> refuse and some are even dead".  The solution, it was my suggestion, was to
> use attrition.  Only permit new users to sign up to the new license terms.
> Eventally new contributions will outnumber the old.
>
> This decision was made in a meeting between four people: myself, Steve
> Coast, Richard Fairhurst and Mike Collinson and is clearly documented here:
> http://www.osmfoundation.org/images/e/e3/Osmf_boardminutes_20080320.pdf

So was is the problem ? Is there really a problem ?
new user were asked to endorse the newlicence form wome weeks now. Now
it's time for old user to have the possibility to accept the new
licence.
Of course old user will probably have a poor answer, lot of accounts
were "dead"

> [...]
> There have been repeated calls for a vote by the whole community.  There has
> been no response.

I dont remember asking a vote... But perhaps i loose memory ;-)

Seriously, i'm not sure a vote would be a good option for several
reasons.
* many accounts are no more used and probably "dead", how count them,
how know them ? Would you only count account who answer ?
* what would you propose to vote : the actual licence (CC-BY-SA, that
doesn't work at all for the project) vs the new licence ?

> > Seriously, you believe in that ?
> > What is the plan ? Why such an evil plan ? What is the conspiracy ?
> > They want to control the world ?
>
> They do not want to control the world.  That would be silly.

Yes it would be silly. I was exagerating of course.
But what is the plan ? Your initial message seems to me like "conspiracy
plan", but perhaps it's a misunderstood.
Is there (according to you of course) a "conspiracy plan" and if yes,
what is it ?

(sorry for my poor english, i do not often write in english).
--
Pierre-Alain Dorange