[OSM-talk] Contributor Terms

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 14:57:23 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Pierre-Alain Dorange <pdorange at mac.com>wrote:

> load
> > >

> > I helped design the strategy.  The problem statement was "how are we
> going
> > to change the license when half the contributors won't respond, some will
> > refuse and some are even dead".  The solution, it was my suggestion, was
> > use attrition.  Only permit new users to sign up to the new license
> terms.
> > Eventally new contributions will outnumber the old.
> >
> > This decision was made in a meeting between four people: myself, Steve
> > Coast, Richard Fairhurst and Mike Collinson and is clearly documented
> here:
> > http://www.osmfoundation.org/images/e/e3/Osmf_boardminutes_20080320.pdf
>
> So was is the problem ? Is there really a problem ?
> new user were asked to endorse the newlicence form wome weeks now. Now
> it's time for old user to have the possibility to accept the new
> licence.
> Of course old user will probably have a poor answer, lot of accounts
> were "dead"
>
> > [...]
> > There have been repeated calls for a vote by the whole community.  There
> has
> > been no response.
>
> I dont remember asking a vote... But perhaps i loose memory ;-)
>
> Seriously, i'm not sure a vote would be a good option for several
> reasons.
> * many accounts are no more used and probably "dead", how count them,
> how know them ? Would you only count account who answer ?
> * what would you propose to vote : the actual licence (CC-BY-SA, that
> doesn't work at all for the project) vs the new licence ?
>
> Conveniently, the Contributor Terms already contain the answer to your
questions:
"Which other free and open license is chosen by a vote of the OSMF
membership and approved by at least a 2/3 majority vote of active
contributors".

The OSMF membership had a vote to choose the ODbL.  It would be reasonable
to expect a vote of active contributors to follow.  Instead they are
following a different plan.