[OSM-talk] Potlatch for Newbies

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Aug 24 10:26:27 BST 2010

Steve Bennett wrote:
> I note someone below saying Potlatch 2 will only have the offline
> mode. Ugh. That's a real pity.

Live mode is more complex to code (and, hence, a potential source of bugs)
by an order of magnitude. Stuff like merging ways and undo is incredibly
convoluted in P1 because of this. There's no theoretical reason why P2
couldn't have it... but I certainly wouldn't volunteer to code it and I'd
take pity on anyone who did.

Personally I use 'save mode' in P1 with the approach "save early, save
(very) often". Once you've made your first save (with changeset comment)
it's only a matter of pressing 'S' now and then, which'll bring up a
progress dialogue for a second then disappear with Potlatch's trademark
happy plop. I'd like to make P2's save function equally low-profile.

cheers
Richard