[OSM-talk] Unsetting CT flag

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 6 18:58:26 GMT 2010

Hi,

pecisk at gmail.com wrote:
> License is fine. It is CT which in fact still allows OSMF to change
> data license to any other "free license" (which could be strip "share
> alike" and "attribution" requirements) what blocks usage. In fact,
> there is NO license which allows such CT to coexist. Only PD, and
> that's even not working in all countries.

I'm sure that if, at any time in the future, the OSM license needs to be
changed, it will be into something that works in all countries.

We don't know if it will ever be necessary; we don't know what that
license might be; we don't even know which countries will be around then
and what their legal systems will look like. Think long-term! This is
not a clause aimed at next year.

> I know that ODbL team talked about changing description of "free
> license", but I don't see any official statements about that. I'm
> afraid that PDists got their way all over again.

ODbL is not a PD license, so you do not have to be afraid. As for the
distant future - we don't know who will be in OSM then, what their
preferences will be, and wheter you and I will be alive then. I think it
is ok to let those who *then* run OSM decide, instead of trying to force
onto them what we today think is right.

And legal-talk is that way --->

Bye
Frederik