[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] Unsetting CT flag

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 19:24:29 GMT 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> pecisk at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> License is fine. It is CT which in fact still allows OSMF to change
>> data license to any other "free license" (which could be strip "share
>> alike" and "attribution" requirements) what blocks usage. In fact,
>> there is NO license which allows such CT to coexist. Only PD, and
>> that's even not working in all countries.
>>

> I'm sure that if, at any time in the future, the OSM license needs to be
> changed, it will be into something that works in all countries.
>
> We don't know if it will ever be necessary; we don't know what that license
> might be; we don't even know which countries will be around then and what
> their legal systems will look like. Think long-term! This is not a clause
> aimed at next year.
>

>  I know that ODbL team talked about changing description of "free
>> license", but I don't see any official statements about that. I'm
>> afraid that PDists got their way all over again.
>>

> ODbL is not a PD license, so you do not have to be afraid. As for the
> distant future - we don't know who will be in OSM then, what their
> preferences will be, and wheter you and I will be alive then. I think it is
> ok to let those who *then* run OSM decide, instead of trying to force onto
> them what we today think is right.

I think the problem with this idea is that it opens the door for
carpetbaggers[1].  The purpose of share-alike licenses is to prevent the
freeness of people's contributions from *ever* being hijacked.

I, for one, certainly want to ensure that whoever runs OSM at some
indeterminate point in the future can not pervert the principle on which I
made my contributions.  Anything less is unacceptable and is disrespectful
to those who built OSM in the first place.

80n

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpetbagger#United_Kingdom