[OSM-talk] Unsetting CT flag

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 12:25:53 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Grant Slater
<openstreetmap at firefishy.com> wrote:
> Partially a rhetorical question... What would the project do if
> someone uploaded data to OSM and then said they had not agreed to
> contributing the data under CC-BY-SA?

In case you're misinterpreting my request: I want future edits to be
subject to the same terms that I was editing under before ticking the
CT flag. I'm not disputing that edits over the last few months are
subject to the new CTs, though I'd be a lot happier if we acknowledged
that I made a mistake, and pretended it never happened.

(To answer your question: it would depend a lot on the circumstances.
In some cases, you just remove their data and carry on. In others, you
leave their data in, and carry on. I don't think the attitude of "well
you licensed it open, so it's ours now forever more!" -- which I have
occasionally elsewhere -- is helpful or respectful. I would also
reiterate that constantly reminding users of what licence they are
contributing under reduces the chance of this happening, and weakens
their claim if it does.)

> Out of interest here is the history of project's contributing terms...
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Database_License/Contributor_Terms/History
>
> PS: Your email to LWG was received, but we have not yet had a chance
> to discuss and respond. We meet again next Tuesday.

Thanks, I wasn't expecting an instant response. It's a weird situation.

Steve