[OSM-talk] using walking papers where some data may not be used for OSM

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 07:12:37 GMT 2010

Hi,

Below is a possible use-case scenario we are planning to use OSM and
walking-papers [1].

A rural health organization deploys community health workers to
monitor household/individual health issues within far flung
communities.  They want to develop a an internal geospatial dbase of
its beneficiaries as well as community resources.  The org have very
limited IT resources and intends to use open source and open data in
their offline "GIS".

I see the potential of using walking papers as a good facility to
conduct resource mapping and household monitoring.  They can print out
wp and annotate the map during field visits.  They can then scan,
upload and download the rectified scans to update their database using
QGIS.   The GIS person then updates their own database and maybe add a
few roads, trails and other community resources in OSM.

Now for my question [2]:
1. Some data coming from wp prints will not be included in OSM either
for privacy or non-relevance to osm data.  Is this OK with the
existing and future license?
2. Because they used wp and osm to extract locations that will be
related to org database, should it comply with the with the
share-alike provision?

I appreciate other ideas on how to implement this.

[1] I know that it is possible to do everything in-house (wp and osm
software are open source anyway), but the organization have very
limited IT resources.
[2] Probably in legal list but I'm asking anyway :)
--
cheers,
maning