[OSM-talk] using walking papers where some data may not be used for OSM

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 14:00:27 GMT 2010

Think of OSM as a tool set.

Use a local copy of OSM and don't upload the changes.  Basically use
something like JOSM to extract the OSM file and save a local copy. Take a
very small area say two inches by two inches with no data in it and download
to new data layer.   Then add in the desired restricted changes with a
suitable tag only to the new layer.   Save it locally.

When you are ready to print or view just load up the two layers and merge
them and save them under a new name.  Fire up Maperitive and point it at the
local merged file.  You can customise the view by adjusting the rules so
things that are important to you get shown on the map.

Cheerio John