[OSM-talk] OSM server on a (Ubuntu) VM?

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 08:44:04 GMT 2010

I think we may be talking about different things.  I thought the question
was about using a virtual server rather than a dedicated one.  It sounds
like it is about using a virtual machine on a desktop.

In that case you are right that running the database on the host will work
better than on the guest operating system.  Some people are very attached to
Windows though!

Graham

from my phone

On 21 Dec 2010 23:49, "David Murn" <davey at incanberra.com.au> wrote:

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 14:31 +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> Bear in mind though that many of us have...
Not entirely sure what you mean by 'for financial reasons', but I agree
in part.  I do wonder though, if youre using a windows host simply for
financial book-keeping and a ubuntu database server as a guest, youve
got things the wrong way around.  Make your host ubuntu and windows your
VM.  This gets around the performance problems of running a database in
a VM, and you will infact notice an inprovement with windows running in
guest mode instead of host mode, as it will benefit from the caching
available in ubuntu.  Especially if the only reason you need non-ubuntu
software is for financials, then youre better off having that running
part-time in a VM and having your main system operation running as host.

Unless you want to simply render once, dont care how long it takes to
setup or complete, and then delete the whole renderer.  If you expect to
be using the setup more than once, a virtual machine is not the best way
to go.. its not even 2nd best.

David