[OSM-talk] Converting buildings from nodes to ways

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Dec 23 21:42:44 GMT 2010

Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 <at> gmail.com> writes:

>I was advised on the newbies list a while ago to make that initial
>node part of the new way. ie. you move the node to somewhere on the
>edge of the building, then start tracing from that node. This means
>the node isn't deleted and one can see where in the history this node
>was converted from a lone node to part of a way.

Sounds like a great idea - that way relations that included the old node
will keep working too (though software may still need modifying to look at
the way the node is part of).  I have done the same thing when tracing outlines
for railway stations.

All that's needed now is editor support, e.g. an 'explode node to area' tool.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>